Family Reunion for Minors

Vier Hände halten jeweils ein Puzzle-Teil

Family reunion, © colourbox


Information for Visa Applicants for Family Reunion (Minors)

Minors who intend to join their parents/a parent residing in Germany or want to move together with their parents to Germany may receive an entry visa valid up to 90 days that can be transferred into a residence permit by German Immigration Authorities after taking residence with the family member. It is not possible to change the purpose of the visa request after submitting the application.


Visa fees are payable in Nepali Rupees. The fees are fixed in Euro (currently 75 EUR); therefore the equivalent in Nepali currency may vary according to the exchange rate. The complete fee has to be paid upon application and will not be refunded in case the visa application is rejected.

Please note that visa applications of children younger than six years; spouses of German or European Union (EU) nationals and minor children and parents of minor German or EU nationals are processed free of charge.

Processing Time

The minimum time to process the application for a visa for family reunion takes approx. 3 months, since your application has to be forwarded to the competent immigration authorities in Germany for final approval.

Please be aware that in most cases verification of documents is requested by the German Authorities.


Please note that visa applicants for Family Reunion will have to take an appointment for their application online via our Webpage.

Application form and additional documentation

Please prepare two identical application sets consisting of originals and copies of the following documents.

All documents have to be provided in German or English language or together with an English translation.

The German Embassy reserves the right to ask for additional documents.

Please note that incomplete applications will be rejected. Applications containing false statements or forged documents will also be rejected and forwarded to Nepali authorities for further investigation.

Non-Nepali nationals residing in Nepal:

A valid residence permit for Nepal is required.

Minors under the age of 16:

A written consent of the parents (father and mother) or the legal guardian (with proof of guardianship) is necessary.

Following Documents are needed:

  • Valid passport or travel document with a validity of at least one more year, original and two copies. The passport must not be older than 10 years and must contain at least two empty pages.
  • 2 recent biometrical passport photographs (not older than six months)
  • 2 application forms (please use VIDEX)
  • Minor identity card, original and two copies
  • Birth certificate, original and two copies
  • School leaving certificate including the date of birth, original and two copies
  • If older than 16 years: Proof of German knowledge (C1 level) by an examination provider certified according to standard ALTE (Association of Language Testers in Europe); in Nepal at the moment only certificates by the Goethe Centre Kathmandu and VHS Bhaktapur Please note that - under certain circumstances there is an excemption from this rule, for Example for minors whose parents are EU passport holders or who move together at the same time with their parents to Germany.
  • Proof of Health insurance valid for Germany and covering at least the first three months of the stay in Germany, original and two copies (spouses and children for EU-nationals are exempted) has to be submitted before leaving to Germany
  • Copy of your parent’s passport (A4 size copy)
  • Certificate of residence (“Meldebescheinigung”) of the parent living in Germany, not older than 6 months
  • Copy of parent’s residence permit for Germany, if applicable
  • Proof of marriage of parents original and two copies

    If the marriage did not take place in Nepal or Germany, a marriage certificate with Apostille is required
  • IF APPLICABLE: Divorce judgement and decree of all former marriages of both spouses, with information on who has custody for the minor

    German divorce judgement with “Rechtskraftvermerk”, original and two copies
  • Father / Mother continues to reside permanently in Nepal:

    in case parents are divorced, father / mother in Germany needs to prove sole custody (e.g. custody order in divorce decree, custody decree) or in case parents are still married, declaration of consent by parent residing in Nepal, declaration needs to be signed in person at the German Embassy. Only applicable for family reunion with a non-German national!

  • Visa Fee, equivalent to 75,- Euro

  • Verification of documents

Submission of the above-mentioned documents does not guarantee that a visa is granted.

Submission of incomplete documentation or refusal to appear for a visa interview may result in the rejection of your application.

For further information please refer to www.kathmandu.diplo.de

Please note that these are the minimum requirements. Additional documents may have to be presented on request. The regulations have been issued by the Embassy of the Federal Republic of Germany and are subject to change without prior notice.

Family Reunion Minors Checklist

Top of page