Nepalese nationals who wish to acquire new skills and engage in social, environmental, or health-related activities can apply for a visa at the relevant German embassy. An application can only be submitted to the German Embassy in Kathmandu if the applicant is a permanent resident of Nepal.
Applicants should have completed high school (12 years, +2) and must not be older than 27 years if they start the voluntary service “Freiwilliges Soziales Jahr” (FSJ) (voluntary social service) or “Freiwilliges Ökologisches Jahr” (FÖJ) (voluntary ecological service). For the European Voluntary Service “Europäischer Freiwilliger Dienst” (EFD) the age barrier is 30 years. The Federal Volunteer Service has no age limit.
For minors (under 18 years of age), the consent of their legal guardians is required.
The duration of the voluntary service in Germany can vary between 6 and 24 months, but the rule is a full year.
If the contract/agreement with the workplace, does not include information about your accommodation and meals, please provide additional proof of living expenses.
All applicants are advised to register on the waiting list prior to applying for their visa.
Personal appearance at the German Embassy is mandatory.
Visa fees are payable in Nepalese rupees. Fees are set in Euros; therefore, the equivalent in Nepali currency may vary depending on the exchange rate. The full fee must be paid at the time of application, and is non-refundable if the visa application is denied. The visa fee is 75,00 EUR
Please prepare the following documentation:
- Valid passport or travel document (with a validity of at least 12 months)
- 2 recent biometrical passport photographs (not older than six months)
- 2 application forms (please use VIDEX)
- Signed Declaration on True and Complete Information
- Copy of your passport’s data page (A4 size copy) + last page
- Citizenship Certificate
- Birth certificate
- Self-written letter of motivation
- Self-writen CV
Contract/agreement with the assignment site, signed by the applicant, the Federal Office (for BFD) or with the sponsor (for FSJ / FÖJ), and the assignment site
- Proof of German language skills (minimum level B1, not older than 6 months) only certificates from the following institutions can be recognized: Goethe Center Kathmandu in Thapathali, or VHS Bhaktapur
- Proof of education (academic certificates) and/or proof of work experience
proof of accommodation in Germany
- Flight reservation and health insurance (to be provided only after approval of visa)
Please prepare two identical sets of applications with the above-mentioned documents and bring your original documents along.
Following approval of the visa application and before the visa can be issued, you must provide evidence that you have travel insurance for the period between arrival in the country and commencement of employment, if such evidence has not already been submitted.
This information is regularly updated but makes no claim to be complete.
In individual cases provision of additional documents may be necessary.
Submission of the above mentioned documents does not guarantee that a visa is granted. Please ensure that your application documents are complete! Incomplete applications may result in rejection of the visa application.
The guidelines are subject to change without prior notice.