All Nepali nationals who intend to study in the Federal Republic of Germany require a visa prior to their departure.
An application may only be filed at the German Embassy in Kathmandu when the applicant has a permanent residence in Nepal.
Please note that visa applicants for a Study Visa have to take an online appointment prior to submitting their application . The link to the appointment System can be found below.
Admission to the Visa Section of the German Embassy will only be granted at the time of the scheduled appointment. An applicant being late consequently has to schedule a new appointment.
The visa application must be supported by all the necessary documents as only applications with complete documentation can be accepted.
Simultaneous applications for a Schengen visa and a student visa cannot be processed.
Visa fees are payable in Nepali Rupees. The fees are fixed in Euro. Therefore the equivalent in Nepali currency may vary according to the exchange rate. The complete fee has to be paid upon application and will not be refunded in case the visa application is rejected. However, should you have been granted a stipend by means of public funds (e.g. DAAD scholarship), you are exempted from paying the visa fee.
The minimum time to process your study visa is approx. 8 – 10 weeks, since your application has to be forwarded to the competent immigration authorities in Germany for final approval.
Please bring the following documents:
- Valid passport or travel document (with a validity of at least 12 months)
- 3 recent biometrical passport photographs (not older than six months)
- Application form National Visa PDF / 210 KB (please make sure that both forms are filled out and signed mentioning especially the address of your future residence in Germany (question 15) as well as your complete home address which includes telephone number and e-mail address in Nepal)
- Signed Declaration on True and Complete Information
- Copy of your passport’s data page (A4 size copy) + last page
- Citizenship Certificate original and 2 copies
- birth certificate
- Self-written letter of motivation explaining your motivation and reasons for studying in Germany
- Proof of admission to the relevant University or Institution ( scholarship certificate if applicable)
- School Leaving Certificate and mark-sheets
- Higher Secondary Education Board Certificate and mark-sheets
- Proof of previous studies in the relevant area (e.g. Bachelor Degree, transcripts) if applicable
- Proof of knowledge of the German language (The level depends on the requirement given by the respective university) or English language (TOEFL, IELTS)
German Certificate of ALTE (Assoc. of Language Testers in Europe). In Nepal at the moment only the following certificates are recognised
Goethe Centre Kathmandu in Thapathali, phone +977-1-4250871, E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org OR
The “Advanced Level Certificate German” of the Campus of International Languages of Tribhuvan University are recognised as proof of knowledge OR
German Certificate from VHS Bhaktapur, Adharsha-7, Bhaktapur, website: www.vhsbhaktapur.org,
Proof of financial means to cover the costs for the time of your studies by one of the following documents:
Confirmation of scholarship / stipend
Formal sponsorship letter from a sponsor living in Germany(“Verpflichtungserklärung” according to Art. 68 German Residence Act for Studies)
Proof of financial status: e.g. letter from employer (providing information regarding annual/monthly income and duration of employment with the company), company registration, land ownership certificate, evidence of tax payment, personal bank statements, etc.
A Blocked account (“Sperrkonto”) is not mandatory at the time of the application but can be requested during the visa process. Please refer to the information sheet “Opening a Blocked Account” available on the website of the German Embassy in Kathmandu.
Simply the submission of one of the proofs of financial means does not result in fulfilling the requirement of obtaining a study visa. Additional documents can be requested during the visa process.
- Flight reservation (to be provided after approval of visa)
- Health Insurance (to be provided after approval of visa)
- Visa fee equivalent to Euro 75,00 in NPR (in case no scholarship is granted
Please prepare two identical sets of applications with the above-mentioned documents and bring your original documents along.
All documents have to be presented in the given order in original, copies in Format: DIN A4
All documents in Nepali language have to be supported by an English or German translation.
Only applications with complete documentation can be accepted.
Please note that the German Embassy reserves the right to ask for additional documents or an additional interview.
Submission of the above-mentioned documents does not guarantee that a visa is granted. Submission of incomplete documentation or refusal to appear for a visa interview may result in the rejection of your application.
Please note that the German Embassy reserves the right to forward fake documents submitted during the visa process to the police.
The regulations have been issued by the Embassy of the Federal Republic of Germany and are subject to change without prior notice.