Schengen visas allow people to stay in the Schengen area for up to 90 days every six-month period.
As a German Embassy, we are responsible for processing your application if Germany is your main destination.
Preparing your application
Please prepare your application as follows:
- Please fill out the visa application form
Fill out the application form online in VIDEX Form, print it, sign it and submit it along with the other documents.
- Make sure that your photos are according to the required Standards: Photo requirements PDF / 2 MB
- If you plan to apply for a multipe-entry Schengen Visa, please priPhoto Requirementsnt out the Declaration on Health Insurance Health Insurance Declaration PDF / 74 KB
Getting an Appointment
Please make an appointment to submit your application. You may submit your application three months before the start of your planned trip at the earliest.
Incomplete applications can not be admitted: the application will be returned without additional charges and a new appointment has to be arranged.
No multiple bookings are allowed! This means only one appointment per person and passport application. You will have to provide the number of your current passport during the booking process. Please understand that you will only be admitted into the Embassy's visa section if your passport number matches the information submitted in your reservation.
Please only book an appointment which you are actually able to keep. If you can not keep an appointment that has already been booked you are kindly asked to cancel it online. This will help us to reduce long terms of waiting and leaves a gap for emergencies and applications of high urgency (cases as such usually involve illness or death of a close person). If you do not show up for your appointment without previous cancelation, the system does not allow rebooking during the next weeks!!! Please note that the improper use of the booking system will lead to the cancellation of the appointment and to the blacklisting of your email address. We strongly recommend to personally book appointments without making use of an external service provider. The booking of an appointment is free of charge.
Please note that the appointments offered on this system are the earliest appointments possible.
Please do not send the Visa Section any documents unless requested to do so, particularly not before you have applied for a visa. We are not able to store such documents and will not know to which application they belong. Please always bring all the necessary documents with you to your appointment.
- Valid passport (issued within the last 10 years and with at least 3 months validity after the scheduled return) with at least two empty pages
- Schengen Visa Application Form (all questions have to be answered) together with Declaration on True and Complete Information
- Citizenship Certificate, original and one copy
- 1 copy of your passport’s data page (A4 size copy)
- Travel health insurance, original and one copy (valid for all Schengen member States, covering a minimum of Euro 30.000,00)
- Flight reservation (rail tickets if applicable)
- Proof of accommodation for your entire stay in the Schengen area
- 1 copy of each previous Schengen-, UK- or USA-Visa (if travelled)
- For Minors: If travelling without the parent(s), consent letter and application form signed by both parents; copy of the parent(s) passports data page or Citizenship Cert. Parents must be present during the visa application.
- Invitation letter from Germany or country of your destination including travel itinerary.
- Certificate of leave letter from your company (if employed), No objection certificate from school or university (if student)
- Proof of sufficient funds for your stay
- If sponsored a formal obligation letter (Verpflichtungserklärung according to §§ 66-68 AufenthG /German Residence Act) from your sponsor – original and copy
- Proof of your financial status: if employed: letter from your employer (providing information regarding your annual/monthly income and duration of your employment with the company if self-employed: proof of company registration including PAN and proof of tax payment (original and one copy)
- personal bank statements of the last six months (only originals are accepted)
- Proof of civil status: Originals and copies of your Marriage Certificate and Birth Certificates of your children (alternatively: Certificate of Relationship)
- 1 recent biometrical passport photographs (not older than six months)
Additional requirements for applications for Business Visa
- Submission of a Formal Obligation Letter(original and 1 Xerox copy of the document) according to §§ 66-68 AufenthG /German Residence Act, signed by the inviting company at the competent Aliens Authority (“Ausländerbehörde”) in Germany or An informal letter of invitation, in which the sponsor guarantees to bear all costs according to §§ 66-68 AufenthG/ German Residence Act
- Company bank statements of the last six months
- Detailed schedule of your business meetings
- Exhibitor’s pass / visitor’s pass (in case applicant wants to go to a trade fair)
Please prepare two identical sets of applications with the above-mentioned documents and bring your original documents along.
All documents have to be presented in the given order in original, copies in Format: DIN A4. All documents in Nepali language have to be supported by an English or German translation. Only applications with complete documentation can be accepted.
Please note that the German Embassy reserves the right to ask for additional documents or an additional interview.
Submitting your application
In order to submit your application, please attend your appointment at the Embassy in person. During this appointment, we kindly ask you to submit all of your application documents, pay the fee and answer questions about your planned trip. Your photograph and fingerprints will also be taken on this occasion.
What happens during processing?
The Embassy will review your application and make a decision on whether or not to grant you a visa. To this end, it will assess whether your application meets the legal requirements. Processing generally takes five working days. We hope you will understand that we are not able to answer any questions on the status of your application during this processing period. After that, enquiries can only be answered if they are made by the applicant, his/her legal representative or another person authorised in writing by the applicant.
Return of your passport
You can collect your passport within a period of four days. You should collect your passport in person. If you are not able to collect it yourself, you can authorize another person to collect it for you. In order to do so, please issue an power of attorney to that particular person. The authorization for another person to collect the visa needs to be mentioned during the interview.
There are various reasons why your visa application may be rejected. The reasons will be stated in the letter notifying you that your application has been rejected.
You are welcome to submit a new application at any time with complete, informative and verifiable documentation.
Have a good trip! Information for visa holders
If all the information on your visa label is correct, you are free to travel. Please check the information on the label as soon as your passport is returned to you. You should let us know immediately if there are any mistakes so that we can issue you a new visa.
Your visa will state your full name and passport number and include your photo. It will also state the period of validity. This is the time period in which you can travel. In addition, it will state the maximum number of days you can stay in the Schengen area during the period of validity of your visa. Our aim is to give you a certain amount of flexibility in planning your trip. In order to allow you to change your travel dates at short notice, visas are usually valid for 15 days longer than the maximum number of days you are allowed to stay in the Schengen area.
Please note that being granted a Schengen visa does not guarantee that you will be allowed to enter the Schengen area. The final decision on whether or not you will be allowed to enter the Schengen area will be made by the border police on your arrival. When you arrive, the border police may ask you to present additional documentation alongside your passport and valid visa with information on your financial means, the length and purpose of your stay, and your health insurance cover. You should therefore take a copy of your visa documents (including an invitation from Germany, hotel reservation and travel health insurance) with you on your trip.
Complaints about the Schengen visa application process
Schengen visa applicants may submit complaints about the conduct of the consulate staff or the visa application process via the
. In the contact form, please select the option “Beschwerde zum Schengen-Visum-Verfahren”. Please note that complaints may only be submitted in German or English. We are unable to follow up on complaints in languages other than German or English. Please enter one of the following two options in the “Subject” field of the contact form:
- Complaint about the conduct of consulate staff
- Complaint about the visa application process
We will follow up on your complaint once it has been received.
Important information: No legal remedies against decisions to refuse, annul or revoke a visa – in particular no remonstrations – may be submitted via the complaints contact form.